Wednesday, April 1, 2015

RV Life: Transitions

March 31, 2015

RV Life: Transitions

Sometimes we plan on transitions, other times they just arrive in our lives, then there are the mixes.  2014 was such a year and 2015 is leading into even more.  In 2014, I said that I could not continue in the push of work and life that I had pushed myself into.  I planned to work incessantly until June (my early March plan) then to take a couple of months to examine what I wanted to do next.    Life had other options for me, for on March 28, 2014 I stepped out of the bathtub, dried and dressed then headed out the door, except -  I ran into the wall!  I stopped, regrouped, and started again - the same thing happened.  Trained for Wilderness First Responder Medicine, I knew two things: 1.)  I was in trouble, 2.)  I was having a stroke.  My phone was downstairs.  With great care, I clutched at the door frame, then the stair railing, and headed for the couch with two thoughts in mind.  Call for help and Lay Down NOW.

Today, one year later, I am free of the effects of the stoke, thanks to quick treatment and carefully following recovery plans.  Instead of bustling about as usual, I gave in to my couch for two months and taking the required regime of blood pressure medications.  The first two months did not allow for much processing but alas, it finally happened and now, instead of buried under feet of snow, I am in one of the RV capitals of the US: Pharr, TX.  This area was created with RVers in mind, the flat plains of the Rio Grande Valley offer the greatest ease of RV Park construction and the mild winters draw people from near and far while the Parks all compete for being the most desirable place to spend your winter months. Dances, dance lessons, dinners, music jams, craft fairs, swimming pools with exercise and volleyball, meeting rooms for all types of activities, a pool room, sewing corners, exercise rooms, outdoor pickle ball, tennis, shuffleboard are only the at the top of the list for activities.  Many of the Winter Texans bring their musical talent and instruments and jams are frequent and open to the public.

Where do transitions fit into all of this?  Transitions can mean, and did for me, letting go of what was and allowing the new to emerge.  This always sounds so easy, but the reality it, I - who have long practiced the art of change - was clinging to what was in the hardest way possible.  Feeling that a change meant that I was locked into whatever was next would be absolute, until my daughter looked at me and said, "Mom, you are acting as if this new part of your life will be fixed for the rest of your life, if it doesn't suit you, change it again!"  Cut to the chase, I who believe in the option and possibility of change was hunkered down and locked in - and not even sure to what!  Well, that's not exactly true, it would mean a new way of communicating with the group of people below and a few more critical people: their children.  This photo is of my children and their spouses from my niece's wedding a few years ago.  The plan was for Facetime in addition to the world of FB but my old phone won't cooperate.  Little videos are working for now but I wonder when they will scream Stop!




No comments:

Post a Comment