Tuesday, April 14, 2015

RV Life: Simplify

Simplification.  It is certainly one of those ideas that come to some at a young age, for others it takes the accumulation and weathering of life to entice one to think of simplification.  I had viewed life as my garden, diverse with flowers growing among the vegetables. Work and adventures blooming and growing intermixed children, grandchildren, family and friends

For me, much of this simplification came about after having a stroke a year ago.
Life became very simple:
a)  Stay alive - thanks to EMTs and Maine Medical staff;
b)  Recover  Thank you My Children, Jason, Erin and Keva, their spouses, Mere, Don and Rob, and My Grandchildren, Gavin, Dayton, Mya and Doria, The Couch, Kelly & Michael, Family and Friends, and the at home staff from Maine Medical Center;
c)  Take the medications and work out a plan for living as long as I would like to
d)  Figure out how to finish up the things I had been doing
e)  Make a simpler plan for the future.

Will I get to it?  Will I get to simplification?  It's a year later and I am in Pharr TX with my significant other, Ted - having left behind a huge house that I share with my daughter and her family. My life in the role of Mother and Grandmother has transitioned to include partnership and traveling with Ted while maintaining all my family relationships.  Who would have thought?

The first acknowledgement of this transition was that my extensive wardrobe, featuring several types of lifestyles, Day to Day casual, Maine Guide, Business person, and Ballroom Dancer, would not fit in an RV.  What to do?  First, Invite another dancer, Karen, over for an afternoon of try on!  She left with what she loved, I tried on my own clothes as well.  When she left, a nice assortment of dresses, skirts, and blouses left but I had also packed another bag for Goodwill.  Winter in Maine while thinking about the weather in Pharr, TX posed little challenge.  It would be warm there so I could ship a small assortment of shorts, tanks, and necessities ahead.  When it came time for me to join Ted in Texas and start traveling, I added spring season clothing by taking a very few favorites of day to day casual with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment